Monday, February 13, 2012

Help with pruning an ornamental crab apple tree.?

I have an ornamental crab apple tree that is about 3 years old. I have not done a thing with it other than water it and I was wondering if there is any pruning I should be doing, how I do it, and when the best time would be. I do not know the exact type of tree but it flowers pink flowers in the spring and then grows small crab apples on it.

Help with pruning an ornamental crab apple tree.?
this site is a good place for you to start learning about pruning apple trees
Reply:Hi:

This ornamental crab tree is a beatiful plant specimen. The best time to prune most trees is in the fall season when the temperatures have cooled down some. It is also a good time of year to add a six month nitrogen slow release fertilizer to the tree. This will help its growth for next year.



When pruning, always cut at an angle so you don't damage any of the branches. Cutting straight across could hurt your tree. I recommend to my clients to try and keep the oranmental trees in their natural state. Prune the old branches but keep its form.



Take a look at my proper pruning page on my website. This will show you the correct way to cut the branches as well as tools I use. I will also direct you to my site map where you can browse through the rest of my website to get information on any other landscape solution you may need.



Good luck to you and hope this has helped some. If you need any other advice, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Kimberly

http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c...



http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c...


No comments:

Post a Comment