Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Do you remove bulbs at summers (zone 9)?

I am just starting to do the landscape on my backyard in Las Vegas, NV. It is going to be desert landscape but I would like to have some pretty flowers next spring so I'm thinking about having some hardy bulb-plants in planters or containers. I've found some that are good for zone 9, but I don't think they are going to survive in the ground with this heat at summer...

ps Tulips are impossible to grow here, aren't they?

Thanks, Maria

Do you remove bulbs at summers (zone 9)?
Good luck with that! I live in FL, zone 8b and I have never seen anyone grow bulbs here. It's too hot and humid for them!



One thing you might try is keeping the bulbs in their pot then plant them (put the pot and all in the ground). That way it is easier to pull them up when their done showing off!! (You'll know where they are too!) Plus they'll just be easier to take care of.



It is an idea...
Reply:I live in central Texas and I plant bulbs and never take them out of the ground. I have amaryllis, daffodils, iris, and a few tulips. It does not get cold enough here to worry about their freezing, and they always come up in the spring. I am in zone 9, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment