Monday, February 13, 2012

Dorothy Wycliff flowers? (Pieris?)?

I have one of these plants growing in my yard, it only got 2 little spears of flowers on it this year (I just moved in last year; no flowers on it last spring). I went to the garden store and they're pretty expensive, for plants smaller than the one I have. I only want to keep it because of the flowers--I almost ripped it out of my yard until I saw them :o) What can I do to encourage more flowers for next season?

Dorothy Wycliff flowers? (Pieris?)?
Pieris can take a long time to get established and start flowering well. Make sure your soil is acidic and that the plant is well mulched, preferably with acidic leaves like oak. You can use a fertilizer like MirAcid (MiracleGro for acid-loving plants). They also need to be kept quite damp, and prefer a semi-shaded spot. It will flower on this year's growth, so you can tell if it will do well next year by the amount of new green leaves you get this year.
Reply:The first year I planted mine it was a tiny shrub. It didn't bloom the first year. second year, few flowers, third, many more. It's about four feet now. Give Her time, maybe the previous owners just planted it?


No comments:

Post a Comment