Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I have a penchant for sulfur colored flowers, but I bought these ones on a whim, Do you have experinece?

My clients are too cheap to buy spring bulbs. I, however love that particular yellow sulfur look, anytime of year...



I snuck in some of it with these plants:



Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare 'rubrum' I planted pretty late. I noticed one bloom two weeks ago. If it doesn't seed properly, will it come back by root alone? I'm in a 6a zone (i think), but prefer to plan for zone 5.



Patrinaia gibbosa looks ok. its leafs browned out in full sun after blooming, but managed to put out smaller blooms in autumn even after a full seeding. It is in really bad soil.



False Lupine (Thermoopsis caroliniania) in bad soil. I belive I saw these in bloom at an upscale nursery and fell in love. I found them again on the $1 rack. total experiment.



I have a fourth but i can't recall the name (gold alyssum?). It blooms early to midspring and has velvety fuzzy silver leaves. It thrives in dry rocky environs. It supposedly self seeds like crazy.

A very sexy plant for me.



Hints? Tips?



More later

I have a penchant for sulfur colored flowers, but I bought these ones on a whim, Do you have experinece?
Thermopsis caroliniania has proven easy to grow in the perennial border in gardens around Atlanta, GA. It blooms for three weeks to one month. Although it is slow to establish and takes a couple of years to settle in, it is well worth the time. It lends a shade of yellow that by its self is stunning and when mixed with blues and purples creates a pleasing spring boarder. If the flower stems are not cut after flowering, the lupine-like seed pods develop and hang on past frost. Hint, add sand to clay soils to help improve drainage and pore space. It does poorly in unamended red clay.



The alyssum that you mention is most likely Alyssum saxtillis.



Are you a landscape architect or a designer? You do not have any personal information on your profile.
Reply:Don't worry about the fennel, it spreads like crazy. If it is bronze fennel you can even use it to make licorice. The other two I can't recall anything about, but if you have an alyssum, it will most likely return en force next year, I had it in a window box and it took over


No comments:

Post a Comment